Commitment to Values at Netflix
In 2009, Reed Hasting's, CEO of Netflix Published a slide deck on how Netflix hires, fires and promotes. The slide deck has been viewed over eleven million time (11,838,807 as of 8-6-15). You can view the entire slide deck here: http://www.slideshare.net/reed2001/culture-1798664
Netflix takes their list of values very seriously when hiring, firing or promoting people. It's safe to say that it works.
How seriously do you take your values? After digesting this slide deck I have even more respect for Netflix, its culture, its high performing employees and above all its commitment to its values.
Here's the list:
- You make wise decisions (people, technical, business, and creative) despite ambiguity.
- You identify root causes, and get beyond treating symptoms.
- You think strategically, and can articulate what you are, and are not, trying to do.
- You smartly separate what must be done well now and what can be improved later.
- You listen well, instead of reacting fast, so you can better understand.
- You are concise and articulate in speech and writing.
- You treat people with respect independent of their status or disagreement with you.
- You maintain calm poise in stressful situations.
- You accomplish amazing amounts of important work.
- You demonstrate consistently strong performance so colleagues can rely upon you.
- You focus on great results rather than on process.
- You exhibit bias-to-action, and avoid analysis-paralysis.
- You learn rapidly and eagerly.
- You seek to understand our strategy, market, customers, and suppliers.
- You are broadly knowledgeable about business, technology and entertainment.
- You contribute effectively outside of your specialty.
- You re-conceptualize issues to discover practical solutions to hard problems.
- You challenge prevailing assumptions when warranted, and suggest better approaches.
- You create new ideas that prove useful.
- You keep us nimble by minimizing complexity and find time to simplify.
- You say what you think even if it is controversial.
- You make tough decisions without agonizing.
- You take smart risks.
- You question actions inconsistent with our values.
- You inspire others with your thirst for excellence.
- You care intensely about Netflix's success.
- You celebrate wins.
- You are tenacious.
- You are known for candor and directness.
- You are non-political when you disagree with others
- You only say things about fellow employees you will say to their face
- You are quick to admit mistakes
- You seek what is best for Netflix, rather than best for yourself or your group.
- You are ego-less when searching for the best ideas.
- You make time to help colleagues.
- You share information openly and proactively.